A command-line podcast downloader
castget is a simple, command-line based RSS enclosure downloader. It is primarily intended for automatic, unattended downloading of podcasts.
- simple configuration,
- automatic tagging of downloaded MP3 files using ID3v2,
- automatic M3U playlists, and
- support for all RSS versions (to the extent this is possible) and Media RSS.
- 17 May 2017: Version 1.2.4 is a bug-fix release. It fixes a build issue that may break make install.
- 16 May 2017: Version 1.2.3 is a bug-fix release. See the changelog for details.
Releases are signed with Marius Larsen Jøhndal's PGP key (0xD881FF60) whose fingerprint is 561B CBC3 DF8A 5350 3A62 416E A7DE 43E1 D881 FF60
Pre-built binaries or packages may be available for some operating systems and distributions:
- Arch Linux
- NetBSD port
- OpenBSD port
- FreeBSD port
- Optware package
- Build instructions for Raspberry Pi
castget is configured using a configuration file called .castgetrc located in the user's home directory.
The format of this configuration file is very simple: There should be one section for each RSS feed that you want to subscribe to, for example:
[df] url=http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio4/fooc/rss.xml spool=/home/joe/podcasts
Each such section is referred to as a channel. For each channel you may adjust individual settings by adding key-value-pairs like the the two url and spool settings above.
You may also add a global section specifying overridable defaults that affect all channels:
The mandatory screenshot:
Installing from source
To build from source you will need
- id3lib (optional)
Download the latest version, extract the tarball, then
$ cd castget-1.2.4 $ ./configure $ make $ make install
To compile from git, do the following:
$ git clone https://github.com/mlj/castget $ cd castget $ ./autogen.sh $ ./configure $ make $ make install
Please report any bugs using the project's bug tracker.