A command-line podcast downloader
castget is a simple, command-line based RSS enclosure downloader. It is primarily intended for automatic, unattended downloading of podcasts.
- simple configuration,
- automatic tagging of downloaded MP3 files using ID3v2,
- automatic M3U playlists, and
- support for all RSS versions (to the extent this is possible) and Media RSS.
- 17 May 2017: Version 1.2.4 is a bug-fix release. It fixes a build issue that may break make install.
- 16 May 2017: Version 1.2.3 is a bug-fix release. See the changelog for details.
Pre-built binaries or packages may be available for some operating systems and distributions:
- Arch Linux
- NetBSD port
- OpenBSD port
- FreeBSD port
- Optware package
- Build instructions for Raspberry Pi
castget is configured using a configuration file called .castgetrc located in the user's home directory.
The format of this configuration file is very simple: There should be one section for each RSS feed that you want to subscribe to, for example:
[df] url=http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio4/fooc/rss.xml spool=/home/joe/podcasts
Each such section is referred to as a channel. For each channel you may adjust individual settings by adding key-value-pairs like the the two url and spool settings above.
You may also add a global section specifying overridable defaults that affect all channels:
The mandatory screenshot:
Installing from source
To build from source you will need
- id3lib (optional)
Download the latest version, extract the tarball, then
$ cd castget-1.2.4 $ ./configure $ make $ make install
To compile from git, do the following:
$ git clone https://github.com/mlj/castget $ cd castget $ ./autogen.sh $ ./configure $ make $ make install
Please report any bugs using the project's bug tracker.